Taking it to the Streets






Here we are again in Chinatown. Its early and the town is just starting to come alive. I could see people walking down the road, heading towards wherever their jobs are. An old man is sitting at a bright red coffee table sipping on a piping hot cup of coffee.

A man in his twenties honked at me, signaling me to get out of his way. People were preparing for the flood of customers that would come in later.

Photobucket

As you can see here, people are just starting to get to work. Most of them have to get up really early. At least I am not alone when I get up early for school each day. Yeah, so this is a little glimpse of the life of people in this town!

Photobucket

This man here is making "Apam Balik" which is a one of Malaysia's famous snacks (Btw, snacks here are mostly referred to as Kueh). As I have explained in my previous post, Malaysians take their food really seriously.

Malaysia consist of 3 main races which is the Malay, Chinese, and Indians. Each race has their very own unique culture. Therefore, we have different food form different cultures! I feel really blessed to be able to grow up eating Malaysian food.

Plus we have the imports from all over the world like the western cuisine, Japanese, Mexican and the list goes one. In the end you have one giant food hub. You can find almost ANYTHING here in Kuala Lumpur.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Two people walking down the streets in the morning.

Photobucket

An old lady selling homemade dumplings. Its make from glutinous rice (I called it 'sticky rice' because the rice is sticky....). The dumplings have a triangular shape and is called "Dian Sin" in Mandarin. Right in the middle of this triangular structure lies a treasure of stewed mushrooms and pork (there are variations with other meat).

My great grandma make the best dumplings! She would normally give my familya bunch when we visit her. The thing I love about old people is that they know so much! In my case its a great thing because she is very well-versed in the arts of cooking. Thank God that she is still alive today =)

Photobucket

Here's a picture to illustrate another aspect pf Malaysia. The ladies love it and its called shopping! Things in Petaling Street is really cheap (I have to admit that prices have gone up a bit because its a tourist attraction).

Located smack in the middle of Chinatown you can find things ranging from LV bags to Rolex watched at rock bottom prices (ermm....these are fakes of course). I have heard stories of business men coming all way here to buy watches for themselves and their friends.

Beware! The peddlers do not tag their products so prices fluctuates and can be bargained. They might claim it to be a "good fake" but a fake is still a fake =_=

Despite all these things, Petaling Street is still an awesome place to visit. It actually adds up to the character of the place.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this adventure with you. You really do make me want to see your country. I LOVE sticky rice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, thanks SO much for your support! You should definitely visit some day. I'll bring you around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most interesting collection of photographs. I really like them as they remind me a lot of my years in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know how to capture the city well, I especially like the black and white and the shadow shots, in a way your pics are like a form of travel for me as I don't travel at all

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats so neat you get to eat like 3 different countries' foods, all in one place (;
    the photographs all look really nice and colorful too

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2lives, thanks! Glad to help you sorta "get out of the house" =) I really do hope to visit other countries and you know....take pictures!

    Zyriana, THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!

    Rachel, its really good to have SO much food here. It might not be good however for people who are watching their waistline =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You arranged a nice trip to Malaysia without spending a single penny from my pocket.... Thanks for it friend.. Cool pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a few days behind so am catching up on your Malaysian tour. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone's imagination runs on overdrive occasionally, but check out the plot of "Pale Demon," The Bee Book Club's choice for March. ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. .. structure that was built in 2008 — is the most beautiful and sturdy gate of any Chinatown she's seen. "When we come here," she said, "we're coming home ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts