Sitting on a Train in China






This was all a part of my dad's brilliant idea of 'experiencing' China. So instead of traveling the conventional 'tourist' way (flying...etc), he decided that we should travel via the local way, the REALLY local way. In this case its traveling by train.

I tell you there was not ONE tourist in sight. If you ever decide to travel this way always make a point to have someone who knows the Chinese language because these places are not meant for tourists hence no translation!

At the first thought, I wasn't really into the idea of traveling the non-conventional way but then I thought that it would be a fun. So, reluctantly I tagged along.

DSC_0154

This is the daughter of the local I mentioned that day. Really cute girl, who kept starring at my camera. She never seems to smile though!

DSC_0155

Here I am waiting at the station. As you can see these are ALL locals, not one tourist in sight. I felt so out of place. But still it was interesting being able of observe the locals going about their daily routines.

DSC_0158

The noisy horns of the train blew. Here comes the train! The train has finally arrived, time to get on board.

DSC_0172 copy

Sleepy head locals. The journey was 4 hours long. Combined with the rhythmic sound of the train, you can fall asleep in no time. My time was occupied taking shots like these. It really helped to pass time.

There were LOTS of people on the train, so they really try to squeeze as many people in as possible. The seats which normally seats two had to sit 4! So my whole family had so sit in one single bench. Luckily there were some other empty seats so my mom and sis moved there.

DSC_0174

This elderly lady here is eating some nuts called 'kuaci'. Also sold here in Malaysia but its damn cheap in China. You could get one whole plastic bag for Rm 0.50 which would normally cost around Rm 5 here.

Eating 'kuaci' is very tedious but rewarding. You have to crack the shell with you teeth one by one and eat the nut inside. Very much like your conventional peanut only smaller and easier to crack. You have to be very patient eating it as you only get one small nibble in every shell.

DSC_0177

Also sold on the train is ice-cream! Cost only RMB 1 (Rm 0.50) and it taste really good. It doesn't taste exactly like vanilla but still has a really milky taste. Till today I still can't really tell what flavor it is.

DSC_0167 copy

These four ladies were playing poker on the train to pass time. It was cute watching them conveying so many different facial expressions whilst playing their game.

To conclude, I can't say that I enjoyed the ride. (I was glad when the ride ended!!! HAhaha....) But I would take that ride again just to enjoy the whole 'local' atmosphere once more.

Comments

  1. The train ride must have been epic ! Anyway awesome footage there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Khairin =) Ready for trials???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures.. Stanley still i wonder that how you are getting that shiny look in all the photos... So nice my friend...
    Happy friendship day.... Check my blog.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Selerines, thanks again =) About the photographs, I will put up posts about some photography tips and tricks! So look out =)

    Thanks for the wish too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello buddy,
    Myself Ranjith,
    A Friend as well as Colleague of
    Shiva. (www.selerines.blogspot.com)
    Just visited your blog and well now inviting you to my blogspot (www.ranjitzone.blogspot.com)and also to be my friend.

    HAPPY FRIENDSHIP DAY ...!
    Do Visit my Blog and send your comments..!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ranjith, thanks for dropping by. Happy Friendship Day to you to =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friendship Day request :

    I bought one new blog with my friend. So i am kindly requesting you to add Two to blog into your blogroll and visit that blog frequently. That blog will contain entertainment features and stuffs. Looking forward for your cooperation even in that blog too. Thank you friend...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have guessed that the train ride would also offer many shots of the passing countryside. I used to travel in Japan on their primitive trains in 1953 and took many nice photographs of the rice fields and people working in them. In a plane you can only take pictures of the tops of clouds.

    I like your photographs of the people inside the train and on the station platforms. All in all I say you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Abraham Lincoln. Your advices are always good! I actually tried to take some pictures of the countryside but it did not turn out very well. It was during winter so the scenery was kinda dull....Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating photos, Stanley!

    My WT has done some traveling in China and yes, on trains!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, when my family and i go up to new jersey, we often take the subway to new york. now you don't need translation in new york, but we are usually the only tourists. but were yearly tourists, so that's okay. (:
    awesome shots! the color is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so interesting, Stanley, especially with the Olympics coming up. Thank you for sharing. I'm just going to have to add you to my list of people to visit from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Willow, great that WT has tried travelling by train. Its an experience indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rachel, yeah.....somehow I actually find trains to be pretty cool. I enjoyed riding the "tube" in england =) Very convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kay, yup!!!! Olympics is just a few days away! Can't wait =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Stanley. I arrive here via Kay's Musings.
    These are such interesting people pictures in the train. I can agree with what you write too. I've traveled long distances in countries where no one on the train spoke English.
    Greetings to you from Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dina, thanks so much for dropping by. Its always nice to meet new people! Really glad that you've enjoyed what I've shared here. Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK, will do, I'll be back again to see what you're up to next.
    Thanks for your visit to the donkey. They are my favorite animal.
    How about joining us for Camera-Critters meme every Saturday or Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAhaha...thanks! I'll do try to join =) But I've got an exam coming up so I'm pretty swamped but I promise I'll join when I'm free.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts