Roaming Chinatown






I arrived at the train station at around 7 am and took another train to another section of the city. My destination is Pasar Seni (directly translated to Art Market) which is located in "Chinatown".

Honestly, I am embarrassed to say that I don't know the exact name of the area. I've known the place as "Chinatown" my whole life. The locals also know the place as Chinatown. Speaking of Chinatown, it does not imply that this place is the chinese area of Malaysia. Despite the name, people in this city is diverse in terms of race.

Photobucket

Hmm...where should I go? I am headed right, to Petaling Street! You MIGHT notice this place from the travel shows. This is the place where the travel shows ALWAYS feature when talking about Malaysia.

Photobucket

The texture and color of the flowers really caught my eye here.

Photobucket

Here is the famous street. Empty in the morning, it burst into vibrant activity right in the afternoon and gets crazy during midnight. I love this place alot because despite being such a big tourist attraction it has managed to retain some of its cultural heritage.

Photobucket

This is the picture of the back alley. I wandered to the back alleys, places where not many people usually go. Don't worry! There were quite a number of people around......I would not wander alone to a dark and lonely alley.

Photobucket

This guy here is selling toys at the back alley. There are MANY stores here to my surprise and there were lots of people passing through. Apparently there is some sort of public transport at the end of the alley.

Photobucket

Here's a candid shot of an old man standing in front of a bamboo wall! His pose was just so candid, I could not resist.

Thinking back, walking through those alleys reminds me that despite being quite a developed city, there are still people in Kuala Lumpur (Chinatown is in Kuala Lumpur) who are struggling to earn a living.

Its gotten tougher with the increasing petrol prices. The things that those people sell at the BACK ALLEY are not new. So I assume that it is scavanged from all over the place. More about Chinatown in the next post! Well, something a little more cheerful at least.

Comments

  1. I love the 3rd pic of the famous street...it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, thanks! Glad you liked it.

    Christina, of course!!! Ahahaha....keep on practicing =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty pics, stanley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stanley, it was great catching up on your blog...great entry with some really good pics...now I know where to go next time I am in KL...

    Cheers,

    Scotty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont know the name of the areas where I live for years!
    Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Acey, thanks for the compliments!

    Scotty Graham, its been a while since I last saw you here. Thanks for dropping by!

    Coca cutie, you should have an adventure around your place then =) HAhahahah....get lost and get to know the place at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pics from the daily life in Chinatown - the flowerpicture was so colourful!

    Thanks for bringing up some memories - I've been there a long time ago you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie, thanks for the compliment! Really appreciate your support =)

    Rennyba, glad you liked it! You really should visit. I would LOVE to bring you around =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts