How It Ended






I shall start by telling you how it ended! No one said that I had to start from the beginning. The end was pretty straight forward. I came back and had lunch.

Photobucket

Here I am bored on the way back from my little trip. Traveling via public transport is the way to go! Considering the fact that the oil price has blown sky high, public transportation is a great way to reduce the strain on money.

Photobucket

This is what happened when I'm even more bored. Random pictures!

Now, you might ask what so important about lunch? Ask a Malaysian and they will look at you and stare. Basically Malaysians are GENERALLY really passionate about their food. When it comes to food, the discussion can go on for God knows how long.

We will talk about great places where we had that certain dish, comparing prices and so on. Then some one will cut in and talk about some other place which has better food and then the debate will start on which is better.

Photobucket

Today I shall introduce you to the wonderful cuisine of the "Mamak". These people came in years back to work in the rubber plantations in Malaysia. They were the ones that started this "Mamak" cuisine that has taken the whole country by storm and has roots in Malaysian culture.

Photobucket

This lunch that I am having is the Banana Leaf Rice. Basically you will have your meal on a banana leaf! Your banana leaf will be filled with rice and like the picture, they will just smother it with curry (you have choices of beef, mutton, chicken, and fish).

I opted for the mutton curry and it was fantastic! It was cooked in such a way that your teeth just sink in when you take a bite. The meat was so tender.

The Banana Leaf Rice is just but a small portion of the "Mamak" cuisine. I only have this picture because its what I had for lunch that day =) There are definite more popular and well known dished like the Roti Canai (flat bread which is our version of the pancake eaten with curry). The menu is really wide and it would take REALLY long for me to break it down.

Photobucket

Look at the amount of curry they gave me! Two walloping pots of curry! Gosh, that was definitely a great lunch.

This is where Malaysians usually hang out, whether if its for breakfast of meeting friends. The pulling point of this cuisine is its cheap price and availability. "Mamak" stalls could be found almost everywhere.

Photobucket

Here I am after lunch, unable to finish the rice they put on my plate. I told that guy to give me less rice! Felt kinda bad for wasting the rice but I was seriously bloated already. So that is a little on the "food" side of Malaysia. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Oh man , I haven't eaten one of those Banana Leaf rice for ages.

    The last time, I ate that was 2 years ago with my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to visit me and I come now to discover your super blog with nice photos! I'd like to eat on a banana leaf! You make me hungry even if just took my lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expect you to eat with your fingers... then I realised you were taking photos. hehe....

    I like Indian food. Singaporeans take a long time talking over food too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Start from the end and work your way back.
    Lunch looks so good and yes the talk of food can go on FOREVER! MB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your visit!
    I'd like to try that Banana Leaf, it looks good.
    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stanely: what a wonderful looking meal on the banana leaf. It looked so apetizing. I'm eating left over rice and cashew chicken from a Thai resturant I went to yesterday. You should of taken a doggy bag like we do in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  7. really really good shots here! the banana leaves helps make the food taste better! hahaha... i think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ive been a fan of 2 blogsites in terms of photography, one of whom is yours. i also noticed that your site loads faster now. i like your photos coz they have focus. thanks for visiting my little site too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great way to help save the planet - skip the paper and styrofoam and eat off banana leaves! The curry looks delicious. Great photos! Food is always one of my favorite subjects and many of my memories revolve around the food that was served.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't remember if I've told you before, but I was in Malaysia more than 10 ears ago. I remember the food was delicious - quite exotic for a Norwegian you know - and your post is a great proof - wonderful pictures - my moth is watering :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Khairin, you should have one! Its good =)

    Claudie, Thanks lots! AHhahaha....yeah Malaysia do have lots of mouth watering dishes.

    Eastcoastlife, I cant eat with my fingers oe else I might dirty my camera! HAhahah.....thanks for visiting =)

    Small city scenes, food is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pietro, thanks for the compliment! You should try it if you ever come to Malaysia =)

    Fishing guy, I finished all the meat and veggies. We dont normally take away rice =) Aspecially when it is half eaten. AHhahaha....perhaps its just an asian thing =)

    Thedong, the banana leaf is claimed to make to food more fragrant =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cathy, thanks alot! No one has ever told me that my site is one of their favourite. Means alot to me =) Glad to know that the site loads faster. I've been trying a new site hosting site!

    Museswings, food really bring people together =) Good idea btw! Eating on leaves not only saves the planet, it enhances the taste!

    Rennyba, I don't remember but its great that you visited Malaysia. I really hope that you enjoyed your visit! Many things have changed in 10 year =) HAhahah....I might get the chance to meet you if you come again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice and I love to eat rice on banana leaf at one of our Indian Restaurant and it goes with the curry fish head..yummy. Your photo looked delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man , I haven't eaten one of those Banana Leaf rice for ages.

    The last time, I ate that was 2 years ago with my dad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts