Yasmin Ahmad

It was just another routine check on Twitter at 12 midnight and it was flooded with news that Yasmin Ahmad has passed away. Honestly, the impact personally was more greater than the news of Michael Jackson's passing.

Yasmin Ahmad was somebody whom I've always gave my attention to. The mention of her name would make my ears pop up in attentiveness. Why wouldn't I? I can remember the time when I would purposely tune in to the local channels just so that I can catch her commercials running on tv.

Last year, I was overjoyed to discover that Yasmin Ahmad would be visiting my school during career day to give a talk. There were so many questions prepared in my mind to ask her. The process of making films has always been something that I've been fascinated with, the way it can evoke emotions, make you laugh, and even breath life into books. I relate to it as a whole new level of photography, involving whole new dimensions.

Alas, she canceled as she could not make it. I've always thought that I would be able to meet her one day in person, the magician behind those short films that makes breaks in between tv programs enjoyable. In those few precious minutes, she made us reflect on our lives in Malaysia, our unity and how far we've come together as one. Now I would never get the privelege of meeting her.

Yasmin Ahmad is also one of the Malaysians that I can say that I'm truly proud of. Her messages of racial harmony rings true within her films. She has also placed the limelight on Malaysia by bagging awards at international film festivals like the Berlin International Film Festival.

No amount of wordplay can describe what Malaysia just lost. Her work will always be an inspiration not only to us Malaysians but to other countries with racial diversities too. So thank you Yasmin Ahmad for giving us the opportunity to enjoy your work, for taking us through such wonderful cinematic adventures, and for leaving behind a legacy for the film industry in Malaysia.

I would also like to extent my sincere condolence to Yasmin Ahmad's family and friends. May God be with you through these tough times and grant you comfort and peace.

I shall leave you guys with two of her clips of her work.




Popular Posts