Cuts and Trims at Kuala Kangsar

Alright, another short break from the Bali trip and back to Kuala Kangsar (with the BRATs). I remember being so excited when I discovered this place because it was just screaming to be photographed. Lol, I think I was the only one who was so into this place.

Its a barbershop, one of those really old types. Could just be the Malaysian version of 'Sweeney Todd' minus the blood. The uncles inside were kind enough to let me just sit inside, observe and take pictures. (have to ask permission first lah of course)

ipoh-kuala-kangsar-barber-photograph
I really like it when I stumble across details like this. Perhaps not much photojournalism value
but it sure does makes a nice shot.

ipoh-kuala-kangsar-barber-photograph
Had a picture of this guy posted last month too. He owns the place.

Here are the rest of the shots. Won't spoil it by adding captions.....so enjoy =)

ipoh-kuala-kangsar-barber-photograph
ipoh-kuala-kangsar-barber-photograph
ipoh-kuala-kangsar-barber-photograph
ipoh-kuala-kangsar-barber-photograph
ipoh-kuala-kangsar-barber-photograph
ipoh-kuala-kangsar-barber-photograph
ipoh-kuala-kangsar-barber-photograph

Comments

  1. Did you give it a try?? I heard these people give you the full works for a mere RM8 - 10 bucks. Pull your head left right and center, crack here crack there, plus good shoulder massage. Haven't managed to convince my kids to give it a try. New generation people don't know how to appreciate the good stuff. haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of Hawaii about 40 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With less than 5 dollars (in my hometown, not sure about other places though), u'll get a short and nice haircut there!!! Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's been awhile. Hey love the shots of the barber shop. V reminescnet of Little INdia in Sg where I grew up. Like the photoshop treatmt u gave them to add the vintage touch.

    Stanley Ho

    ReplyDelete
  5. i remembered i been to this shop long long time ago when i was a kid... the same old shop 2 decade ago :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stan, yeah good to see you back here!

    Alice Teh, thanks xP

    TZ, cool! Lol I have yet to try any of these "vintage" barbers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice photo.. kinda of bringing those happy memory of hometown...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dragon City, those were the days huh....lol this coming from an 18 year-old.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice shots!

    Documented an old trade that might vanish within the next few years...

    ReplyDelete
  10. DC, thanks man. Yeah these shops will most likely be taken over by the new swanky ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post....coz of my dad's work i spent a lot of my initial years in some remotest areas...my mom use to take us to this local barber,as a result me and my sis looked like boys(boyish hair cut)...this post brought back those fond(?) memories..

    ReplyDelete
  12. i remembered i been to this shop long long time ago when i was a kid... the same old shop 2 decade ago :p

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts