Wayan Café in Ubud @ Bali, Indonesia

Plug: Did not know how famous this joint actually is till I Googled it. It has plenty of online reviews so here's a pretty ok link.

Alright, you must be thinking that this is just another restaurant. How special can a restaurant be right? Wrong! This is one of the most awesome café that I've ever came across. Located at a very easy-to-spot area in Ubud (walk and walk, you'll be bound to notice it), I had a really good time there.

This place has a very nice outdoor theme going on where they have nice huts placed all over their land, which is long rather than wide. Its tight in the sense that you feel very cozy, which gives you (or me at least) a very relaxing feel.

You have everything going on, from the friendly staff to the peaceful waterfall to the fans in the hut that keeps the temperature cool enough to the landscaping which is full of green. At the counter you'll have quite a selection of cakes which costs cheaper than Secret Recipe (Rm5+).


wayan-cafe-ubud
See? Not very wide but cozy. LOTS of trees which provides good shade and keeps away the heat.


wayan-cafe-ubud
One of the huts.




wayan-cafe-ubud
Arrived first with Ovira and Ken Jon, while the rest were still browsing through the shops.



wayan-cafe-ubud
Part of the crew that I was travelling with, awesome bunch of people. (Not to forget Gillian, Ken Jon and Grace who are not in the pic)


wayan-cafe-ubud
This is MY chocolate cake =D Its Wayan Café's signature cake aptly named, Death by Chocolate. Its thick chocolate cake, with swashbuckling (credits to Roald Dahl) chocolate icing, with thick chocolate sauce which has a very nice hint of alcohol. Oh, yeah the cake has chocolate chip on it too. And chocolate flakes.



wayan-cafe-ubud
Another type of chocolate cake. We ordered all the types of chocolate cakes that they had. This one reminds me of Secret Recipe's "Chocolate Indulgence".




wayan-cafe-ubud
Andrew's 'Long Island Tea'. Its a cocktail (I think). Tasted really good. It has a very lemony...cinnamonny.....alchololicky.....flavour to it.


wayan-cafe-ubud
Ken Jon's drink, the house specialty (forgot the name) and has quite a kick to it.

By the way, I had my first cocktail that very day! Had the Mojito that Ah Kit reccomended, and I have to say that I liked it. Like the fact that the alchohol is not too overpowering. Basically in Malaysian term, I would say that it tasted like Limau Ice with a kick of alcohol.


wayan-cafe-ubud
Rear view of my chocolate cake. Isn't she beautiful?



wayan-cafe-ubud
This chocolate cake came with bananas topped with cream. Enjoyed this cake too. Well, I'm into chocolate so I'm biased in that sense. They do have a range of non-chocolate cakes too....


wayan-cafe-ubud
Another shot of the cake almost finished up. We spent quite a lot of time in that cafe. Initially, the tour guide set a time for us, 45 minute but we ended up staying there for a good 2 hours. (not sure how accurate I am but we definitely overshot our time limit)

Another thing that I loved about this restaurant is that its a great place for photography. The huts are practically wide open so there is plenty of available light (I have yet to master low-light-photography. Lol, my indoor pictures are pretty miserable. Working on it!).


Now, get on that next flight to Bali (erm...at least right after we've got that whole H1N1 thing over with). Stop by Wayan Café alright =D Its a really good place to just laze around after you get tired from all that window shopping.

Comments

  1. I forgot how green some places can be in Bali until I see these pix. Noo..don't go back to Bali again. Go to Bangkok or Chiang Mai. You will go crazy with your photography there too. And then come back and share with this mummy who isn't so free to go globe trotting nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your photography. Wish I have that sort of camera. My digital camera is busted for now and I am to be blamed =(
    Haven't been to Bali before. Hoping that I'll be able to visit that place soon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wah, this post make me very hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AY, yes yes! I'm going to Bangkok in August with my dad. Really looking forward to that =D

    MichLeong, Thanks! Start saving up ahhahaha. You can start with a low-end camera and progress on if you're really into it. DSLRs are getting more affordable.

    Kelvin, =D hahaahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like such a peaceful place with lovely ambiance. Your chocolate photos have me drooling. I got up at 3:00 AM and have insomnia now. Your food photos are making me hungry for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. STANLEY....this place looks cool....chocolate hmmmm.....BALI+CHOCOLATE....hard to resist....hey,you are doing great work here....plz. feel free to ask anything regarding med. if you want to.....me off to a week break..see ya...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice pictures Stanley. Now I must go have lunch.... hungry man!

    David
    http://jrhogan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kay, it its =D There was even a waterfall next to our hut. HAha, we never felt like leaving that place.

    Kavita, yeah I kinda miss the place. Thanks =D Have fun and a good rest during your break!

    David Jr, thank you! HAhaha, yeah go and feed that hungry stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting table & tatami setting!
    Kinda Japanese...

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1ondoncalling, thanks for dropping by! I guess most asian cultures involves sitting on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stanley! Sorry it took me a long time to get back to your blog :P it has been a really busy summer break for me, shuttling between different places around Malaysia and having homestays with different families.

    Nice photos from Bali! I've always been dreaming to visit this beautiful place since my aunt set foot on it a decade and a half ago. She wrote a one-page travel insights to the local papers and it got published :) and of course, nothing beats sitting beside her as a child and listening her about her fantastic experiences. Not to mention, photos! I remembered there was once her group had to be evacuated because of an impending volcanic discharge. Phew!

    Mmmm, photos of food always make me hungry. You've got me there. I am so hooked with the photos of the chocolate cake. My goodness, they look really delicious!

    p/s: I'm not good at indoor photography too! Maybe it's time we both get external flashes, heh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. those cakes really loook nice!
    And your photos are really good, By the way, you might want to start putting watermarks on your photos or else someone's gonna steal them. You'll never know right? =D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teddy, thanks for taking your time to drop by and leave such a detailed reply. Thanks for all your flatering compliments too =D Bali, its an awesome place. Its a wonder how they preserved it. Some reader have also noted that it looks the same as the last time they went which us years ago! Your aunts trip certainly sounds exciting, not to mention dramatic. HAhaha, the chocolate cakes taste as good as the look. Cheers!

    Chien, thanks! Lol, perhaps you might be tempted to hunt down a chocolate cake to eat. Yeah, I had the watermark thing going on last time but felt that it was too troublesome and it does not make the photograph look good. I'll think of somethinglah....but until then I hope the low file sizes of the photographs will be good enough to prevent copyright.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BOKEH-Licious Cake! yummmmmmmyyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  15. BOKEH-Licious Cake! yummmmmmmyyyyy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts