Roasted Chesnuts along Penang Road

On one of my off days I decided to take a walk down Penang Road. I took the bus from my hotel all the way to the city centre. The streets in Penang is all one way so the bus system is quite a no-brainer. It either goes up or goes down. Plus its way cheaper than taxis, who cut your throat by charging you a minimum of Rm 10 for a short distance.

roasted-chesnut-penang-road

I noticed this uncle frying his nuts (haha) while walking down Penang Road. Earlier I was having lunch at Line Clear Nasi Kandar which was good and reasonably priced, which deserves another post dedicated to its awesomeness.

This uncle sells his roasted chestnuts on a pushcart which gives you that very nostalgic feeling. My mom used to buy this all the time when I was little from an uncle in Taipan USJ, Subang Jaya who has a similar set-up.

roasted-chesnut-penang-road
roasted-chesnut-penang-road

One of my objectives walking out that day is to take pictures of some authentic things. Penang Road is full of photo opportunities from nostalgic set-ups like this to interesting people you can take pictures of.

I got lazy after a while because the sun was just too hot! The typical teenager in me rushed to the nearest shopping mall to take refuge. But right before that I attacked a bowl of "Famous Penang Road Teochew Chendul".

You'll actually notice that almost every shop in Penang has the label 'famous'. But their chendol was good and there were loads of people there. Even with 3 assistants the uncle look like he's going crazy shaving ice and pouring condiments into the bowls.

Comments

  1. Hahah, no lah I don't think so. I remember seeing him just 'tapau'-ing them in brown paper. My mom used to peel everything last time as put them in a container.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts