Hun Hoe Barber @Jalan Burmah, Penang

Photobucket

There is something about vintage and old shops that catches my attention all the time. Perhaps its just me being fascinated by how long its been there. I like how aged everything looks, from the paint peeling off the ceiling to the old box type radios covered with dust; little details that you might miss if you're just there for a haircut.

Photobucket

This shop's main interesting feature is its cowboy doorway entrance. Its owner was explaining with gusto about the special door, and acting out some wild west moves. I like talking to the locals, they never seem to mind my incompetent mandarin and keep yabbering on in chinese anyway. Thank goodness I know enough mandarin to understand their story. Its only when they start their slurge of hokkien dialect, when I am truly lost.

Photobucket
Photobucket

I always have lunch around this area every day after work. You can find loads of good food opposite the Pulau Tikus Police Station. This area was my go-to place for food during my week long stay in Penang. Then again good food is relative. I remember chatting with some locals about places where I really enjoyed my meal only to have them passionately begging to differ!

Photobucket

The friendly old uncle at the shop. He was so nice, he even asked me to come back anytime just to sit and have a chat. Barber shops like this are becoming a rare commodity and its hard to ignore that fact that the people running these establishments have aged. What will happen when this generation passes on?

Comments

  1. They are always glad to have company. Because so few people would take the time to listen to their stories. Lovely photos, and even better background story to the shots.

    The last shot is nice :) Maybe you can just print a copy for him. I bet that would make his day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I definitely will the next the time I head to Penang. The family is thinking of going there end of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post dude. Uncle looks so friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent photos... the barber shop with the combs and old radio! we won't find them around for too much longer. i just did a similar post along penang's heritage trail in attempt to capture traditional trades.... http://www.lechuaphotography.com/2010/04/21/penangs-living-heritage/.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts