Dumpsite Kids and some reflections

Photobucket
Photobucket

The memory of visiting this place is still so clear. Its one of those things that will probably stick on for the rest of my life. I took these pictures is Tondo which is located in Manila, Philippines. Seeing it personally is so differently than just watching it on National Geographic.

Then you see kids who are suffering, eyes that just look at you with such desperation and hopelessness. Things like this drive me on to the path of medicine. I want to bring hope to kids like this.

Doctors that I have talked to in the past few days gave me very realistic facts on becoming a doctor. Local universities alone are churning out four thousand doctors a year. At this rate, hospitals will be filled with doctors. Even now, government hospitals have 20 to 30 housemen compared to 4 or 5 in the past. This causes problems as these young doctors would not have the chance to deal with cases and gain experience.

This really puts me in a spot. I think its stupid to spend one million ringgit only to come out of university and not get a job. Nor would I want to get paid to laze around doing nothing in the hospital.

A doctor told me a story of his friends who used to have dreams of doing great things. But their dreams fade away after a few years in medical school.

My dream is to build a Pediatric Hospital, a sanctuary for kids to seek treatment, a place where they would feel comfortable and at ease with, in such a way that kids would dream of getting sick just to be admitted to that hospital. I would describe it as a Disneyland of hospitals.

My other dream is to build/own a 5-star hotel, because I am passionate about traveling and I know what I want from a hotel as a guest. I strongly believe in quality service. If you are serving people you need to do in your best ability. Nowadays it seems like people are more interesting in being served than the other way around.

Talking about lost dreams, I wonder what it is that killed those dreams. What has life done to these people? Many people would label my dreams as idealistic and say things like "Wait till you grow up and get into the working world and see how hard life is".

It seems like growing up means loosing that spark of youthful ambition. I don't want to grow up if it means giving up hope on making an impact on this world. I don't want to grow up if it means living life without passion or ambition.

Circumstances changes people, I know that. No one will know when life smack you in the face. But I sincerely hope that I will cling on to these dreams and never let go of them no matter what happens.

Take care and keep dreaming.

Comments

Popular Posts