Chowrasta Market, Penang

Its funny how I stumbled upon this place during my last visit to Penang. The BRATs did a story on this market before so I was aware of its existence but never thought about checking it out. Honestly, checking out the local wet market was not on the top of my priority list, that top spot goes to food hands down.

So I was walking down Penang Road that afternoon, lost. My bearings got mixed up so I ended up walking around aimlessly and that was how I found Chowrasta Market. This market was smack in the middle of Penang Road, loads of people so it did catch my curiosity. I asked the locals about the name of the place and they told me that it is Chowrasta Market. He sounded a little put off, because I was probably asking a dumb question. Its like standing in front of the Eiffel Tower in Paris and asking the locals the name of that tower.

The place looked rather interesting to me, from a photographic point of view at least.

Photobucket

I wanted to get a picture of this uncle after seeing his unique office. Never seen an office in a wet market EVER. Chat with him for a while and he was at the job for tens of year, I forgot the actual time but I can assure you that its been a while.

chowrasta-market-penang
chowrasta-market-penang

The people were very nice and always agreed to pose. I only got rejected by a bunch of small little girls who gave a loud NO!! They probably thought that I was going to kidnap them of something. But the other people were more than happy to pose for photographs.

I've been getting into the habit of posing people lately rather than just take some candid shots of them. Its more comfortable taking pictures when people allow you into their personal space rather than you just intruding them.

chowrasta-market-penang
chowrasta-market-penang
chowrasta-market-penang

I'm making a wild guess by saying that they are related. Come on, look at them! They look so alike. Looks like the son is taking over the family business.

chowrasta-market-penang

Very happy with the pictures I got that day. I do miss taking pictures with the 50 mm though, these were taken with the 35mm. With the 50 I could sniper from a comfortable distance. With the 35, you really have to engage the subject and ask for permission/pose them because its way too obvious that I'm snapping right in front of their faces and some people don't like that.

...........................................

Update on life. Its been good, Chemistry today was good. Everyone thought that it was good. Thank God that I was able to answer all the questions. I've definitely been to nerdy lately, stuck at school or at home studying with the more-often-than-i-would-like-breaks watching 30 Rock and How I Met Your Mother.

Three more weeks and I am done with this whole thing for this year! Then I'll be off to Outward Bound School (OBS) with the rest of the 6 Formers. Its part of the curriculum so everyone has to go. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the jungle/camping. I can live with it but the jungle is just not my favorite place to be at.

But my seniors have been raving about how much fun they had during their OBS trip. So I'm looking forward towards the bonding rather than the camping. This reminds me, school term ends in about four weeks! Then after OBS I will be off for a cruise with my dad. Looking forward to that.

Comments

  1. When you engage with the people, the photos show. The trust they have in you. These are lovely shots. You do not need to snipe them :)

    One day, the little girls would say yes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yeah I probably should have tried a different approach with the little girls. In this case snipping would be better haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool photos of chowrasta... i did a post on it too but it was more on the outside stalls of the market when it was closing... didn't get a chance to go in... it's great how u got their permission but yet they look so natural and candid in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its funny how I just stumbled across the place lol. I never intended to go there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts