Nasi Kandar Line Clear @ Penang

I've been neglecting this space for far too long. Lets get back to what this blog is truly about, traveling and food! You guys are probably tired of my ramblings. I guess people don't find teenagers stressing about their A-levels that interesting.

A short update though. Exams have been going really well. Just for the exception for Chemistry practicals. Lets just say things did not go as expected and I sort of panicked a little during that exam. But hopefully I've done enough because I sincerely felt like I've done all I can.

nasi-kandar-line-clear-penang

This place was recommended highly by the guide book I was following and it was featured on the Star Newspaper eating column a couple of times so I decided that this is a must visit place. For those who don't know, Nasi Kandar is a meal of steamed rice which can be plain or dunked in gravy, and served with a variety of curries and side dishes. (Source: Wikipedia. Yes, Nasi Kandar has its own wikipedia entry!)

I took the bus all the way to Penang Road, which is where this restaurant is located. Thing is I found out that Penang Road is a really long road and not knowing which direction I was heading in I was essentially lost. It was lunch time so I got into one of those 'trishaws' and asked the uncle to cycle me to the exact spot.

nasi-kandar-line-clear-penang

The place isn't hard to spot actually. Just look for a big green sign saying 'Line Clear' right in front of an alley(the whole alley is the restaurant) and a long queue. Service was brisk though and it wasn't long until I got the chance to have a seat with a hot plate of Nasi Kandar.

Service was good, staff was friendly. You can see this whole wall with loads of photographs of the restaurant owner and local celebrities. Many people are attracted to this place, so I'm hoping that the food would live up to its hype.

nasi-kandar-line-clear-penangnasi-kandar-line-clear-penang

I stuck to my basic combo, rice with fried chicken and egg flooded with different splashes of gravy. It all came to around Rm 6 including the drink which I think is quite reasonable. The other night I had a plate of rojak that ripped Rm 16 from my wallet.

nasi-kandar-line-clear-penang
nasi-kandar-line-clear-penang
nasi-kandar-line-clear-penang

The food tasted really good. Everything on that plate made best friends with the taste buds on my tongue. That was one good lunch. But I remember eating at a random Nasi Kandar Restaurant in Penang, located nearer to my hotel and it tasted about the same. Perhaps its might be safe to assume that Penang Nasi Kandar is generally good.

The thing that I like about this place is that my food was piping hot. Everything tasted like it was cooked moments ago. As I said, the food tasted great. I don't know how to describe the curry to you. Right now the only description I can give is 'awesome'.

nasi-kandar-line-clear-penang

Writing this up is making me crave for some Penang Nasi Kandar! Honestly, the nasi kandar in Penang has its own 'oomphh' to it. I have tried some other nasi kandar here in other random places outside Penang and it was not as good as it lacks the distinct 'Penang' taste. My dad says that its psychological lol.

Location:
An alley off Penang Road, Upper Penang Road
Behind 177, Penang Road, Penang

Comments

  1. I'm getting hungry already looking at all these pictures, nasi kandar is one of my go to food. Nothing more comforting than a plate of nasi kandar.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts