Mooncake Festival

One of the prominent festive celebrations in Malaysia, its something that I look forward to every year. Why is it called the Mooncake Festival? Because it involves eating mooncakes! Its next Monday.

Here is a few shots of the mooncakes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The mooncakes are filled with all sorts of fillings. The traditional ones are filled with lotus paste or peanut paste (above). Now you can even get them with chocolate fillings. Some stalls even sell them as jelly.

Photobucket

There is actually a interesting legend surrounding this festival. My dad use to tell me this story when I was small.

Long time ago, the Chinese Emperor ordered a famous archer to shoot down the nine extra suns which appeared out of nowhere. Once the task was accomplished, Goddess of Western Heaven rewarded the archer with a pill that would make him immortal.

However, his wife Chang Ér found the pill, took it, and was banished to the moon as a result. Legend says that her beauty is greatest on the day of the Moon festival, hence the bright full moon.

At this day, everyone would light lanterns to symbolize the glowing moon. The sight is really beautiful, especially when you see a whole crowd with lanterns.

Comments

  1. I really liked this post....
    I don't really know alot about Chinese customs or history and this story was great... those moonpies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! The Moon Cake is beautiful and looks delicious! Nice tradition! I misread your post - for a second there I thought you were talking about Moon Pies. That's a southern USA treat with no other custom attached other than to drink a NiHi soda with it :-)

    Stop by my post - I tagged you for a quirky game - if you'd like to play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one.... Can you get a one for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, Honestly, the sweetness of the pies can be a little too sweet sometimes but its enjoyable nontheless =)

    Museswings, Cool! You guys have similar pies over there? I wonder if it has the same shape =)

    Selerines, I think it will all be mushed up once I send it through post. HHahahah.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. great photos!
    i have never tried a mooncake before. they look quite tasty! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, thanks lots. You should try them if you ever get the chance =) They're just like cake, just a little more soft in texture. 80 percent of it is pure paste! 20 percent is the crust.

    ReplyDelete
  7. some of the chinese temples here also celebrates the mooncake festival.

    you are really good in taking these shots. good lighting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow that particular mooncake looks yummy. i've seen and eaten a couple of those but I bet it doesn't taste as good as that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those mooncakes look yummy! I had mooncake once in Chinatown in Los Angeles - delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stanley, I used to go out with my siblings to play lantern during the festival. I think we also get very excited eating mooncakes and stuff. Hehe...

    Great pics and makes me want to eat them now. Not a big fan of mooncakes though...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Dong, thanks for the compliments! AHahhahah....I like looking at lots of photos and get some tips from photog magazines =)

    Wendy, great! The one in the picture was given by a family friend.

    Julie, I'm sure you had fun tasting it. I personally like tasting new stuff =)

    Alice, me too! LOlz, I blame the public exams for coming in the way of the yearly event. What to do? Have to study.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love mooncakes especially those ube ones we buy in Eng Bee Tin. Just delicious. Great post bro. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the story and the photos of the mooncakes are scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lawstude, thanks dude. It only comes once a year so savour it!

    Kay, they are delicious indeed. Do try if you get the chance =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. great photos!
    i have never tried a mooncake before. they look quite tasty! (:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts