Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok

My dad and I chose a hotel on this stretch of road. I liked it because its very accessible. The MRT and subway is just down the road. Hotel is very nice too. Free wi-fi internet! Rooms are new and clean. TV has 84 channels 0__0 It was fun flipping through though. Do you know they have a channel dedicated to wrestling?!

The hotel is right next to Westin, Grande Sukhumvit which is on top of a departmental store called Robinsons. Can't get any more perfect? There is a 7/11 opposite my hotel. They even provide free tuk tuk rides to the station (which is very near and walkable too, 5 minutes tops).

For me Sukhumvit Road and the modern part of Bangkok is very much like Kuala Lumpur, only more well improved and on a bigger scale. So practically there were not many photo ops around in this area except for portraiture. For that afternoon I switched my camera to black and white mode.

sukhumvit-bangkok-
sacha-hotel-uno-bangkok
sacha-hotel-uno-bangkok
sacha-hotel-uno-bangkok
sacha-hotel-uno-bangkok
sacha-hotel-uno-bangkok

We had lunch at Subway. Dad wants something familiar before diving into the street food (which can be lethal to weak stomachs) culinary scene of Bangkok. The lady who served us looked like she hates her job. =_="

I wanted my normal fix with crab meat with some beef of bacon but she said it was unavailable. So I picked tuna instead of crab meat to be mixed with the beef. But right after she scooped the tuna she put it into the oven. I called her, to the point that the farangs (thai for 'ang moh') behind me were staring but she ignored me...

On the brighter side, I like the fact that street food can be found all over the place. Walk, walk then nibble nibble then walk again. Ate some Pad Thai cooked by an old auntie right beside a giant sever (weird, it got less smelly day by day, I don't small a thing now!). Got me hooked! The noodles taste a little sweet, but I really like it. It's like they PIMPED out our Malaysian Char Koay Teow.

Another thing, I can't help being judgmental here. Every time I see an 'ang moh' guy with a thai girl my brain would scream "Slut!". Sights like these are common everywhere. Sometimes I would also stare at a person and wonder if he/she is a he/she.

sacha-hotel-uno-bangkok

I have to give props to the Thais for their very nicely planned MRT (mass rail transit) which is similar to Singapore's. The system is so easy to figure out, and it gets you from one place to another in relatively no time at all.Police are stationed at every entrance to do the whole airport security check thing.

Even during rush hour the train seem very capable of meeting the demands of transport. Oh, and I found out how cheap taxis are here in Bangkok! Price is about the same with the MRT, but roads have congestion.


sacha-hotel-uno-bangkok
sacha-hotel-uno-bangkok
sacha-hotel-uno-bangkok

There were many people who tried to scam us. Normally they would approach you and offer to take you to your destination for a flat rate. Word of advise: ALWAYS USE THE METER!! The proposed flat rates are normally 50% more than what you should be paying. We took the cab from the airport to the hotel and it cost only 300 bahts for a 1 hour ride. Most of the time within the city we could get to the place we want to go for a mere 50 baht (Rm 5).

Popular Posts