Roadside Delicacy, Bangkok

Note: I'm very sorry for the lack of updates. It took forever to get my computer configured for the wifi internet access. Its been good here, great in fact. Will talk more about it in a post. One thing here is that everyone is freakingly smart and well rounded! In my intake most of the students are either Petronas/Bank Negara scholars. Feeling the pressure to perform so I'm trying my best to keep up.

bangkok-street-photography

One of the awesome things in Bangkok is that you’re very unlikely to stay hungry. Hawkers can be seen at every corner serving up dishes at relatively low prices. I really enjoyed this as I get to sample bits and pieces of food all over the place.

bangkok-street-photography
bangkok-street-photography

From my perspective, this whole ‘hawker’ thing is part of the Bangkok life style. Unlike Malaysia that has hawker stalls at certain concentrated spaces, Bangkok has hawkers all over the place. Dad pointed out that it could be one of the things that the royal family supports so that people would have job opportunities.

bangkok-street-photography

I remembered Ay pointing this out to me while I was planning my trip. She said something about how her kids would get their morning fix from the hawker stalls, specifically those selling satay-like (skewered) condiments. I did not have to bother looking out for these stalls because they were everywhere!

So there was these group of hawkers right opposite the hotel I was staying at (you’ll soon realize how everything is right opposite/next to/down the road to the hotel, lol). Not the ones from the previous post by the way. These ones are even closer to the hotel.

One of these guys was selling BBQ-ed items. I harassed him like a paparazzi for a good 10 minutes so I felt obliged to buy something. The food was really cheap, 5 bahts. So I just pointed at something and paid for it. It looked good so I never gave much thought about what it was.

bangkok-street-photography

Later when I got back to the hotel, I took one bite and found the texture to be rather chewy. It taste like chicken but it definitely wasn’t meat.

bangkok-street-photography
bangkok-street-photography

Few more bites later I concluded that it was chicken liver (?!!). I hate chicken liver.

However, it tastes rather decent for chicken liver. It doesn’t have that typical horrible chicken liver taste when you sink your teeth into it. Like I said the taste was decent, but the texture was just a little unusual for me so I did not finish it.

Popular Posts