Something that Beats the Subway



It all started when I was in Kota Bharu, Kelantan, Malaysia for a short trip a few months back. I wanted to know more about the locals and how they lived. You know, like explore the city a little. So I strolled down the streets looking for something interesting to check out.

The road ended and I found myself at a river bank. There was this "house" floating by the river. I went in, curious to find out whats going on there. That "floating house" was actually a boathouse!

The boathouse

That boathouse helps transport the locals to the other side of the river. And you know what? It only costs Rm 2 per way. I snapped up the opportunity immediately. My friend was there with me so I guess it was alright to go.

The whole trip was really relaxing. It was around 6 to 7 in the evening and the sun was starting to set. The whole river was illuminated in orange. The wind whips against your face as the boat strides across the waters.

Interesting thing about the boat was the engine. It was wide open! You could see all the part moving together like an orchestra, but in this case a very noisy one.


The engine looked like it could drop off any moment

I personally like watching the lives of people. I could sit somewhere and observe people all day (NO.....I'm not stalking them....). The locals who were in the boat were not of the well to do sorts. It seems that they depended on the boat for their daily transportation.


People who depended on this boat


Women getting back to their families after work


You learn alot about the locals by riding in their public transport


15 minutes later, I reached the other side of the banks. It was like one small little island with a community of people living there. Everything was really authentic and I felt like a National Geographic journalist.


The "other side"

There were two kids fishing for shrimps and I had a good time talking to them. They go "shrimping" during the holidays and their free time. Life seemed so carefree for them. No worries unlike people from the busy city. Sometimes I wish I had that. They amazed me by how they appreciated the simplest things in life, no matter how cliché that sounds like.


Enjoying life and just having a good time


Their refreshing cordial drinks

On the way back to the boathouse, the sun was almost gone. I snapped a few more pictures and told myself that I shall never forget this day. The day I ventured into the unknown and found something extraordinary.

Beautiful sunset from the boat

Comments

  1. Kelantan used to be my hometown. Then my grandma stay with us.

    It's Kota Bharu btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures to see.... That last one i so nice... Friend by the way kindly add my blog into your blogroll....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wao...interesting...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts