BRATs Taiping 2008 Second Day (14 March)

It was an early start to Day 2

Second day of BRATs Taiping Workshop 2008. Ah, what can I say. These TWO days have been full of scolding and time of "correction and reflection".

Into the unknown

This day started early. We had to wake up at 6! Today we are going to the Taiping Zoo for our first assignment. We all practically KINDA messed up with our interviews and stuff. We TOTALLY forgot about our common manners of asking questions.

Our big "screw up" was during the interviews. We asked some pretty silly and repetitive questions and really "got it" when we got back for our dear Ju Eng and Niki :)

On a positive note, we had fun doing some community work at the Taiping Zoo. My group did the crocodile section. We splashed the mirrors and washed the floors (exterior). How naive of me to actually think that they would let me in the crocodile pen area :) I thought maybe I could get a nice shot of my head inside the crocodile's mouth!

You should have seen me getting their attention :)
I was doing lots of crazy stuff from jumping and shouting to singing!

Whats more?!! The day was not over! After a fun small group game with Musnarizal, the head of the Zoo Department I was in for a shock! He brought out a 40 kg, 4 feet long phthon!!! I was like "God help me!". I have this snake phobia. Its that bad that I really keep note of my surroundings whenever I walk in my garden.

He called 10 volunteers to hold the snake. I naturally politely declined. It was partially de-stressing for me. So those 10 volunteers went up and held the snake.

Then this happened....

The snake lashed out at them with its tail and started wrapping its body around those unlucky young journalists. My camera went clicking as I thought "Man! This is gonna make a great story!". They all screamed in pain as the snake's grip slowly tightened. Their eyes bulged out as they started to struggle for air. It was a great mistake as the snake's grip grew tighter as they try to suck in more air. I heard their bones crack as their heads go limp.....

Hahhah....just fooling with you! But perhaps that could illustrate how scared I am of snakes. Regardless of that, I still not far away from danger. Murnarizal said...

"Now, everyone has to take turn kissing the snake. Line up in a line behind those 10 people"

OH SNAP!!!

My one of a kind experience

I had my turn kissing the snake. Its body was heavy and its head gives off a "snaky" aroma. The most funny part was when it was Kingsern's turn to kiss the snake. The snake wanted to "tongue" her! Every time her mouth approached the snake, the snake puts out its tongue trying to give her a passionate kiss......

Another highlight was touching and feeding the elephants. We were given a rare opportunity to go up close to these friendly beasts. I saw the big elephants pushing a little elephant aside, competing for food. I just went *aww* and immediately gave my little piece of bread to the little guy.

Night time was occupied with us BRATs finishing our articles on the zoo. It was a great day despite our random errors which costs us dearly :) But we shall face the next day with even more vigor and enthusiasm. Breaking out of our comfort zone ain't easy!

Comments

  1. i wont dare to kiss the snake, even if you pay me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stanley,
    I found your blog on Matt-Speak. You appear to be a very cool guy! Your blog is well written and interesting! Keep up the good work. How do you know english so well?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts