Whisk @ Empire Shopping Gallery, Subang

whisk-empire-shopping-gallery-subang-red-velvet

I was at the Empire Shopping Gallery with mom on Monday. Been hearing about this new mall from the family. Well we used to live in Subang, which was our home for about 10 years. The Empire is fairly small but dense with high quality shops and restaurants. Walking around I saw at least six shops selling macarons. Mom raves about the supermarket because you can get imported groceries not found in your general supermarket.

Whisk is located right next to the supermarket. I found its homey and quirky interior rather appealing. The long mirrors lined across the brick walls makes the tight space look more spacious that it actually is. Their spread is well, spread across their whole counter top and I noticed quickly that they sell red velvet.


whisk-empire-shopping-gallery-subang-red-velvet
whisk-empire-shopping-gallery-subang-red-velvet

For those who do not know, I have been sort of obsessed with Red Velvet cakes after tasting one on a random street in New York. So far I have yet to find something of the same standards locally. And trying to make it at home was disastrous. Baking is just not my thing.

The Red Velvet Cake at Whisk is good, probably the best I've had so far. The cake is very moist and the texture is slightly dense yet crumbly. A good red velvet strikes a balance in the usage of cocoa and Whisk got that right. Get it wrong and the cake will taste bitter, not in a good bitter chocolate way. I know because I've made that mistake before. =S

Whisk uses icing instead of the usual cream based topping. That explains the thin layer because it was really sweet. In fact it was quite overkill towards the end and I found it a tad too sweet. Or maybe it's just the way I eat cake. See I start in the front and work my way to the back. By the time I was about to finish the cake, I have this whole wall of icing. Still, I really liked it and I would consider going back to get more.

I would return to try their other cakes or if I have an inkling for some red velvet. But the search still continues for that elusive amazing red velvet cake. Drop me a line if you know a good place!



Whisk – Espresso Bar & Bake Shop
LG 03A,
Empire Shoping Gallery,
Subang Jaya.

Comments

  1. Ohhhh you should try red velvet at the haute food co, over at plaza damas! I myself havent try the one at whisk so i'm not sure if it's any better than that. But I can assure you haute food co has really good cakes there! And also a neat place to have a coffee and a good read :) 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge.The topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time                                                                                                                            
    masque couleur

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks for your visit to Whisk and glad to hear you had a positive experience :) I am one of four of the owners, the rest being my siblings and mom :) I don't usually reply to blog posts but wanted to share with you that we have recently started to offer the Red Velvet in a cupcake form, with the buttercream frosting :) It has in the past month become the new best seller at the shop so we invite you to come and have a taste, and of course constructive criticism, if any ;) I used to live in NYC and had my fair share of Red Velvet fixes in the city, do you remember where you had yours? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Btw, love the shots of the shop, we'd be happy to see it posted on our
    fb wall :) If you ever have the time to do so, come visit us at
    http://www.facebook.com/whisk.kl Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out! You might know how crazy I get over quaint little coffee shops. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for dropping by! Yes, I will try to drop by one of these days to give the cupcake a try. Bout New York, I really cant remember! =(  It was one of those really random moments walking down the streets and probably my very first time having a red velvet. So that plus the whole feel-good rush of being in the NYC for the first time prolly made the cupcake taste extra good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi there. ive tried red velvet at little white cafe, bandar baru bangi. very nice but i havent tried whisk's, so cant compare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can smell the coffee fragrance before enter this shop... Nice.... Love it.... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts