Khao San Road in Bangkok, Thailand

What a tourist infested place! My perfect place for a holiday. Hahah, as locals we normally avoid areas filled with tourists but when you're a tourist in another country, you scuttle over to those exact places where the locals avoid.

khao-san-road-bangkok-photography

Khao San Road is a well known spot in Bangkok, a place where backpackers go to. Seriously, its that obvious. You actually see loads of people walking around......with backpacks. I like the vibe of the place. Perhaps its just me being excited discovering new things in such a foreign place.

I remember walking around with my dad under the hot sun, and watching 'ang mohs' eating in restaurants claiming to serve the best food in Thailand. Things were not cheap, but being such a condensed area its a nice place to explore and get lost in.

There was this one bookshop in some random corner, stuffed with so many book-filled-shelves which looked as if they were squeezed into this little shop lot. Interesting as it was, pricing was no different from major chain bookstores.

khao-san-road-bangkok-photography
khao-san-road-bangkok-photography
khao-san-road-bangkok-photography
khao-san-road-bangkok-photography

True to what all the travel sites say, Khao San Road is a wonderful place for people watching. Take a 360 look around and you'll see people from different walks of life and ethnicity around you, all gathered in one place in the spirit of traveling.

I also like how people over there just seem to know when you're taking their picture, and quickly flash a smile. The last picture shown, the lady was probably a good 10 metres away!

Right now I really feel like jetting off to a faraway place. The pressure right here is getting a little too much to bear =(

Comments

  1. Hi Stan, excellent write on Khao San Road. You know, the last time I visited this place was back in 1989. Can you imagine how raw the place was? I also remember clearly on how I bought my first pair of Snakeskin Boots custom made from one of the shops here. They did it in 24 hours and it cost me about BHT2,000 back then.

    Also, I remember braiding my hair (when I had lots of it) by the roadside costing me BHT200! Such fun it was living life of a backpacker in my younger days.

    Regards,
    David
    Malaysia Asia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David! Thanks =) Wow, that is a LONG time ago. I wasn't even born yet. AHhaaah you got your hair braided?? Yup coming to think about it there were a lot people over there with braided hair. Didn't thought about it thought, I was too busy snapping away. Cheers! I really do I wish I could travel as much as you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fuah, I like the orange hair dude. I tend to avoid places that are labeled tourists place online :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. my thai friend was recommending this place to visit - i thought it wouldn't be that interesting since it's not so local... but guess i was wrong... looks packed and pretty interesting with the colourful 'scenery' of ppl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hhaha, these places are either you love it or you hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is interesting depending on what you're looking for. I like the fact that its a nice place to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hei there! Yup, certainly is. Especially street photography.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Totally agreed with 'Khao San Road is a wonderful place for people watching'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thanks for dropping by! Yup, good place to practice your paparazzi skills.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts