Freezing for World Earth Day at Sunway Piramid

Freeze for World Earth Day, held at Sunway Piramid. It was fun as it was my first time. However, I am not too sure about the environment thing. Most people who turned up were just looking for fun (including me!) and to check out what the “freeze” hype is all about.

I had dinner prior to the event and guess what. The WHOLE organising team just walked in, including the guys from Hitz.fm and sat right next to my table! They were talking about the event, the urge to say hi was so great but I just restrained cause’ they looked pretty busy.

The meeting point was at the Sunway Piramid Skating Ring where we would get our instructions. Somehow, the organisers were pretty late and the crowd got kinda restless. Even after it was well past 7.30 the guy who was supposed to pass on the instructions did not get the signal to distribute them.

Hashim, part of the organising team

At that time I met someone from Germany. She happened to be in town for the holiday and always wanted to do a freeze. Her name is Evy. Everyone was really friendly which AMAZES me.


Evy(left) from Germany. Me and my sister in matching green shirts!

Normally people would hide behind their walls and it would be so hard to talk to them. I don’t blame them. Nowadays, people are taking advantage of others through friendship and it’s really hard to make good friends in this modernised world.

Back to the event. I DID NOT get my instructions!!! I saw the crowd moving so I followed suit. We moved to the Jusco/Osim part of the shopping mall. But I noticed that people were so concentrated at the centre and did not spread out like the we told to. You would laugh if you were there. It was REALLY obvious that they were going to do something.

I got this paper from a group of people.
They were kind enough to let me keep it =)

We had a countdown and we started our 5 minute freeze. The four of us (me, my sister, classmate Khairin, and Evy) froze. I was acting as a snatch thief pulling away my sister’s bag while Khairin and Evy were shocked onlookers. The public loved it =) and they kept taking our pictures. I even had a guy stuffing a camera right in front of my face! Well we stood a short distance away from the main crowd so we did goet a good amount of attention.

By the 4th minute my legs were already shaking. The crowd erupted into cheer and I “thawed” with relief. All in all it was definitely a great experience for me. However, I just thought that the cause (Freezing for World Earth Day) did not really click with the event.

Come on…..people travelled so far just to get to this 4 minute event and God knows how much petrol they consumed in the process. We should have just frozen for something like…..erm….World Stanley Day? =) But still the organizers deserve praise for putting everything together in such a short time and also their efforts in creating awareness towards the environment.


The crowd camwhoring after the event

Comments

  1. Great report, thanks for sharing!

    Btw: next time you get the chance like say hi to the guys like from Hitz.fm: Say Hi! That's what Networking is all about!

    Wishing you great end to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post and event.
    And have to say, Stanley, you are one cute guy...if only I were 35 years younger! Ha!
    Keep doing crazy things on behalf of the planet.
    Love your photos, too. Really add a personal touch.
    Best,
    Jlo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts