Chinatown, Bangkok

Its a holiday today so I'm free to blog. KTJ life don't really give you much time to blog but I shall try to keep this going at least twice a week. Life is good but its gets hard at times (aspecially when you try so hard but fail most of the time). Thank God for putting such supportive people around me. Its good to be surrounded by positivity when you're down and friends that make my day.

Well, I'm still in a festive mood today so here's something about Chinatown in Bangkok. Really interesting place. Many countries have their own Chintown-s, and they have one thing in common which is good food!

Bangkok's Chinatown was just bursting with food at every corner. It had a very tourist-like feel to it, similar to Malaysia's Petaling Street. The sun was setting and everything had a nice light to it and I like the vibe of the place. And there was so many pictures to take! I remember clicking away furiously on the camera.

chinatown-bangkok-thailand
Hahha...lanterns. So typical but yet it adds to the mood.

chinatown-bangkok-thailand

This is one of the things that I developed through photography. It actually makes you more aware of the little intricate things that happen around you. You really see the world differently through the eyes of a lens.

I enjoy observing people going though their daily routines, walking up and down the streets, vendors peddling their wares, even the old auntie frying noodles on her charcoal lit stove. These little things, mundane as it is make wonderful photographs-people in their element.

Interesting thing, this place is called Chinatown but language-wise its more Thai than Chinese. The hawkers did not understand my mandarin. Well either they don't speak the particular dialect or my mandarin really is that terrible.

chinatown-bangkok-thailand
chinatown-bangkok-thailand

Food here isn't very cheap by the way, it isn't cheap in Bangkok generally anyway or even here in Petaling Street (I went on a food spree with my dad the other day and a bowl of porridge set us back Rm 6, but it tasted really good so all is forgiven).

Interesting eats at Chinatown would be bird's nest (Fun fact: You know bird's nest is essentially bird's saliva? xP ). The quality of bird's nest served is not top notch but a cold bowl was refreshing nonetheless after a tiring day of walking.

Another thing worth trying is the random people frying stuff at the side of the road. Somehow they can really draw you in by the aroma alone as I remember smelling something good frying from a block away!

chinatown-bangkok-thailand
chinatown-bangkok-thailand
chinatown-bangkok-thailand
chinatown-bangkok-thailand
chinatown-bangkok-thailand

Food was good and available at every corner. Being the adventurous nut, I bought stuff along the way much to the protest of my more hygenic and health conscious dad. He says the food taste good because of the 'added' flavour from the stall being on the roadside. My stomach was still alright after that so all is good =)

chinatown-bangkok-thailand
chinatown-bangkok-thailand
chinatown-bangkok-thailand
chinatown-bangkok-thailand
chinatown-bangkok-thailand
chinatown-bangkok-thailand

Chinatown was definitely one of the highlights of the trip. There was just so many good things about the place. I should do this kind of thing with my dad more often. Its fun travelling with him because he's always up for some adventure like travelling a few hours outside Bangkok city to visit the floating market and he was so willing to walk with me all over Bangkok.

Hmm, I haven't been to Mumbai........*hints*

Comments

  1. The way they conduct their business is like Malaysian Petaling street. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar but we got more foreign workers hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food = good. Thats all I needed to know! Lovely photos as usual :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly xP Good food is the key. We felt a quite comfortable spending since its a holiday. Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. like the candid nature of ur shots.... visited chinatown in bkk recently last december.. but only saw it at night

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Ah....i stayed there till the night. I'm sure it was still lively.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts