Plan B @ Publika

plan-b-publika
plan-b-publika

Last week I met up with some friends (Daryl, Qi Hui, and Yii Fong) for dinner. I am a big fan of the restaurants opened by Benjamin Yong, now owner of the Big Group. Many years ago I attended a talk he gave in my secondary school. It was part of a careers week series where people from different fields were invited to share their stories. 

The details are fuzzy but I do still remember how passionately he talked about food. His stories of travelling around Asia to source for ingredients made quite an impression on the then much less travelled me. Running all around Asia looking for food? Sounds like the life to me. That time he has just opened his first restaurant, Delicious. Mom absolutely loves that restaurant. 

Plan B is one of his new projects, located in Publika which is also known as Solaris Dutamas. One year ago before I left for the UK, this area never existed. I find it crazy how much Kuala Lumpur has changed over such a short period of time. There is a new shopping mall ten minutes away from my house and lots of undergoing development plans around the area. 


plan-b-publika
plan-b-publika
plan-b-publika
plan-b-publika
plan-b-publika
plan-b-publika

It was eight in the evening, so the office crowd were hogging the tables. We had to wait for quite a bit to get seated. The interior is very dramatic with chairs being suspended from the ceiling. I appreciate the attention to lighting. Tables are illuminated by individual lamps making it feel like your very own personal space.

To start we had the Fattoush (Rm 20). The salad was nicely executed but nothing exceptional. Mains were the Short Rib Rendang (RM 29), Moroccan Lamb Meatballs spaghetti (Rm 24) and Asian-Inspired Golden Softshell Crab spaghetti (Rm 25). I really liked the rendang. The meat had the fall-off-the-bone consistency. Delicious. Wasn't bordered with the ulam. But that's just me hating on the veggies. To fresh for my liking. As for the spaghetti dishes, the softshell crab made a bigger impression than the meatballs. I thought that it was bold and innovative, fusing an Asian favourite with a western staple.

Now desserts; Almond Toffee Bar (Rm 4), Apple Crumble Tart (Rm 11), Chocolate Truffle Tort (Rm 11) and Banana Cake (Rm 10). My personal favourites were the tort and banana cake. The almond bar comes highly recommended by Daryl. I suggest sharing the desserts because some of them can be quite rich. Good stuff  overall but pushes towards the overkill zone when having it all to yourself. Do remember that sharing is caring. 

The bill came to about Rm 40 per person including drinks, quite hefty for students on shoestring budgets. But I do think that it matches what they offer. In general food is getting more expensive, a reflection of the rising cost of living in Kuala Lumpur. Props to the Big Group, another job well done.





Journal by Plan B
Publika, Solaris Dutamas
Lot No. 65, Level G2, Publika, Solaris Dutamas,
Jalan Dutamas 1, 50480 Kuala Lumpur

Comments

Popular Posts