EHF Update #3 : Final


Finished the half marathon this morning! I was quite concerned because I had some injuries a few weeks back due to over exertion, doing too much too soon. At that time I was running the full distance almost three times a week and my body was obviously not coping with it. It was during exam season which means that I am very unlikely to be sleeping much thus not giving much time for recuperation. A friend asked me to take it easy which was really good advice and my legs got better in time for the race.

The race itself was one heck of an experience. Atmosphere was electric and according to BBC more than 23 000 runners from 100 countries took part today. We were organised into pens according to our target time so that people around you will be running at roughly the same pace. It is quite something stampeding through the city with a sea of people. You will spot people in funky costumes, best one I thought was a banana. Then you also have so many people cheering you from the sidelines, encouraging you to keep going. The was so much festivity in the air you don't need an iPod to keep you psyched.

Overall program went smoothly due to the meticulous organising from luggage drop off/pick-up to the distribution of post race packs. I even got a text telling me my exact race time in less than half an hour after the race.

Time was 1:56:10, which is under my two hour target. Started off slow and then ran faster as the race progressed. I only started pushing after the 7th or 8th mile. Well I thought I only had eleven miles. I blame the people in front of me for exclaiming "we are finishing!" in excitement after spotting the 11 mile marker haha. But I managed to maintain the speed I was going at so it wasn't too much of a problem. Weather was brilliant! The day started a little foggy and soon turned into glorious sunshine. Scorching heat made it almost feel like home.

A big thank you to everyone for your support and encouragement. It really helps on days when I have to drag myself to the gym despite it being the exam season and having the ever strong urge to never leave the house. To all those who have donated your money towards the British Heart Foundation, thank you so much for your generosity. You guys raised a total of £525, smashing past the original target.

Right now, I am tucking into a huge box of pizza. Life is good.


Comments

Popular Posts