Thinking about Tondo

This what this organisation, the Philippine Christian Foundation does. They take kids off the streets and give them an education. Visiting that place about a month ago was such an inspiring journey, looking at how they run things and the difference they are making in those kid's lives.

Photobucket

I guess I have a soft spot for kids. Seriously, its hard to imagine having to go through so much at such a young age. I had the luxury of not worrying about food as my parents would always make sure that food will be on the table. In fact, I think I live to eat compared to those kids who eat to live. Imagine, these kids are born with malnutrition.

Photobucket

Mind boggling isn't it? While I was complaining about my sucky broadband connection, out there are kids who are rummaging through garbage searching for tin cans to sell.

Yet these kids seem so happy, which made me a little confused. I kind of expected miserable kids sitting at a corner and staring at you with tears in their eyes. *sigh* I blame the media....

I did not expect to see a bunch of kids playing around like other normal kids here would in the playgrounds. Only difference is that they have the dumpsite to play around with.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

And that day I've met two amazing women, Jane and Lynie who've poured so much into this. Jane visited this place years ago and just decided to do something about it.

Yeah, people do that all the time you might ask.

But I can still remember a quote by Lynie, when I asked her why she went into this line of work. Clearly, I remember her saying something like this "If Jane, a foreigner could care so much for Filipino kids, what about me a local?"

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

The thing that struck me was that Jane is someone from halfway around the globe, came to the Philippines and started this organisation. No political reasons, no personal gains as far as I know (what other things you gain from social service other than satifaction), no other reason other than to lend a helping hand.

This is why our world is so messed up. Agreements made have ulterior motives- political, money, etc. Things are made so much more complicated than it actually is. Was there ever a time where a nation helped another nation just for the sake of helping? (Oh my, how did this blog turned into a "greater good" speech??) ANYHOW.....

Life really is simple. We just complicate things. (Who ate the forbidden fruit?)

Popular Posts