Day 3: Madrid



I spent the whole day at the Prado, this huge art museum in Madrid. You don't need an art background to be amazed by how amazing the pieces are. Some look almost lifelike with such accurate attention to detail like the direction of light, shadows and texture. I felt like someone peering through a window into the scene captured by the artist.

The artist that really made an impression on me was Claude Lorraine. He does mostly landscape stuff. There is this particular picture of a port at the break of dawn. Being into photography I am amazed by his understanding of light. No doubt a work of a genius. 

Then you have your massive pieces that stretch across the entire room and all the way up to the ceiling. Such a treat wandering through all the corridors, it's easy to spend an entire day there. I even took a lunch break before coming back. Got my exam results back recently (which went pretty well!) so I treated myself to a really nice lunch at Botin, the world's oldest restaurant according to the Guinness World Records.

Entrance to the Prado is free for students, which was a delightful surprise. I tend to spend the bulk of my cash on food. And not just an food, good food. I tend to eat really simple for most meals like one euro cereal and splurge on one nice meal. Muesli and bran cereals are my new best friends this trip.

Went for a run in the park later that evening. Such a beautiful space and bustling with activity. People were jogging, working out or just sitting out in the sun enjoying what seems to be permanent good weather. The place is massive! Took a few random turns and found myself hopelessly lost. I came to this empty area with loads of graffiti and came to the conclusion that I was definitely going the wrong way. But I think running is such a great way to get a feel of the city; the pulse, the neighborhood, and the locals mucking about their daily lives.

Comments

Popular Posts