Day 2: Madrid


I spent most of today roaming about randomly to get a feel of the city and figuring out my bearings. First stop in the morning was the Plaza De Mayor. Big spaces like this seem to be the norm and locals can be seen having long lunch breaks while basking in the sun. It gets bright really early in the morning. I have yet to catch the sunrise. Sun sets at about nine in the evening, so the day definitely feels longer. This is probably why the siesta culture (afternoon nap) is very apparent amongst the Spanish. 

Madrid is surprisingly quite walkable, or it could just be a habit I developed from having to walk everywhere in Edinburgh. The hostel I'm staying at is in the Anton Martin area which I find to be a very strategic location. Most of the main attractions are at most a twenty minute walk away. 

In the afternoon, I was at the Plaza De Sol area which is the city hub. Great place to sit around and just watch the world go by. Found this little spot called the Mercado San Miguel, a food court for all things Spanish. Quite touristy but I think it's a great place to sample things like tapas, oysters, and local beers. Expect to pay a slight premium for the convenience.
 


Comments

Popular Posts