My First Year Abroad: A Photo Essay

Here's a photo essay I worked on for CEKU. The title is pretty much self-explanatory. Original link is here. On other news I head back to Edinburgh next Monday! I'm pretty much torn at the moment. Really looking forward to seeing everyone back there again, but that means having to leave all the good Malaysian food a whole bunch of wonderful people back here in Malaysia.

**********


This time last year I was rushing all over the place; visa applications, packing, the complete works. The season has come once again where thousands of Malaysian students temporarily migrate overseas in their pursuit of happiness.

It was a hectic period, but being busy is good. Being busy meant being distracted from the fact that your ass is being uprooted and transported halfway across the globe. For me, reality only set in when I checked into my room in the freshers’ hall.

I looked around. It was just me, my bags and a bare room.

I have never felt so alone.
But that did not last long.

You muster up courage and introduce yourself to people. It’s important to keep an open mind.

People come from all over the world, hailing from different cultures and backgrounds. They may be unaware of your own culture and background, but the feeling is probably mutual.

Culture is only the tip of the iceberg of this new journey you will be embarking on. There’re loads of other new responsibilities to attend to like sorting out your own finances and having to buy your own groceries, and the list goes on. Then there’s studying, which is the main reason we are there in the first place.

And the weather. Oh, don’t get me started about the weather.

One year later, I had the absolute best time of my life yet.

Hopefully, the retelling of my experience will help calm down those nerves if you’re flying off soon or get you excited about possible things to come.

My only advice is to take the plunge and dive into the entire experience with a positive mindset. This is a rare opportunity where life presents you with a blank slate. Fill it with many good things.

These pictures are some highlights of my experiences over the past year.

(PS: I recommend looking the pictures while listening to songs by Mumford & Sons, like this one. Yes, they’re English.)

Unpacking in my new room 

My alma mater for the next five years

A scenic view from Arthur’s seat, one of Edinburgh’s iconic landmarks. I live right next to an extinct volcano.


Taking part in some extra curricular activities during Freshers Week


Introducing some new friends to the wonders of Malaysian cuisine


Making new friends does not mean forgetting old ones. We make time to catch up, be it over meals or Skype calls. (from left: Wei Minh, Azelli)


Snow is foreign to people like us from more temperate climates. If you see people taking pictures outside during the first snow fall of the year, chances are that they are first year Asian students. Savour that ‘dream-come-true-Christmas-moment’. It does not last.


Catching the New Year’s fireworks display in London


The battleground during exam periods which is full of blood, sweat and tears. These are tough times. But like most people, you can and will make it through.


With some good friends right after completing first year exams. We had just come out from identifying random cadaver parts in the lab. (from left: Noel, Hannah, Kirsty, me)


Travelled through Europe with friends from high school. Two years ago, we were sitting in the school cafeteria, dreaming about what it would be like to do such a thing.

Comments

Popular Posts