Patong Beach on a Rainy Day @Phuket, Thailand

I'm back! Last week was such a blast, I am in such a relaxed state of mind right now I feel like I could conquer the world. My holiday started with a 4 day cruise on Virgo, Star Cruise and we had two stops starting from Singapore- the first at Penang and then Phuket.

Then, I stayed over for a few more days in Singapore with my day and we visited the newly opened Universal Studios. Later during the week I received extremely exciting news, so exciting that I could not sleep till 3 because I was so happy. Seriously, I was so happy I had butterflies in my stomach. But I shall leave that for another day.

So today, we'll take a look at Phuket.

It rained. Bummer.

First of all the ship arrived at around 9 in the morning. We arrived at Patong Beach about 45 minutes later on to discover that shops do not open until 11 am. Whats more? Thailand is one hour behind Malaysia, so that means on OUR watches the shops only open at 12. We had to be back at the ship by 3.30 pm. That was the amount of time I was given to work with. Oh, and did I mentioned that it rained? =.=

Still, I had a considerably good time walking around snapping photographs. Lighting was not fantastic but still its still a scene waiting to be captured. I got the chance to watch Patong Beach wake up from sleep. Workers were cleaning up the bars while the other employees unload the ice from the truck for business later that night.

Then there's all the ang moh tourist walking around. At one point the sky just started pouring and I had to run for shelter inside a store laden with fake jewelry and branded bags. It was an awkward half and hour as we waited in that store, with that metal barrier pulled down. Felt like I was a trapped shopper who will only be released until a purchase is made.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Locals were pretty friendly. I like it when people notice me taking a photograph and just start smiling. At least I know now this world still contain friendly strangers. But perhaps its expected from a community deeply rooted in tourism.



Warning: Technical rambling

Its hard thought for the camera to focus quickly at an aperture of (1.4), so I gave up and shot at (2.8) instead. And I normally use the manual mode but scene seem to just change setting to often, and admittedly it was rather frustrating missing shots because I was fumbling with the settings. I ain't too keen on the Aperture priority mode either. It took a while to actually get a setting suitable for such a gloomy day.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I found a back alley leading to this dimly lit local food court. Its a start contrast to the shops you see on the main road, which are filled with tourists. Here you can find the locals picking out dishes to add to their rice from the hawker.

The place had water puddles reflecting the scarce fluorescent lighting. You can hear the locals placing their orders in Thai. For a moment, I thought it sounded like Cantonese. Just a random thought.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Comments

  1. Thank you nice article. I am someone who really love phuket. Last month I've been to Surin Beach and like this place very much because this beach is quiet, white beaches and crystal clear waters. Surin Bay Inn, Surin Beach Hotel is the great accommodation, i stay here. It's just like a happy family, everyone there is so nice and hospital.
    I am sure, i will come back. SEE YOU PHUKET

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts