Durian, the "King of Fruits"

Today, I'm gonna blog about this famous tropical fruit. Its so famous that people crave for it to the point that it could be the only thing that they eat for dinner! This fruit is call the DURIAN (dew-rie-yahn). Dubbed as the "King of Fruits", it has reigned as the most popular fruit in Asia for God knows how many years.

DSC_5259

Regarding durian, the people are clearly divided into two.

The Durian Lovers

and


The Durian Haters

The durian has a very distinct smell and taste which may taste like heaven to some and hell to others. The durian hater are normally the "angmohs" (what the chinese call the westerners). Seriously, its rare that I find a westerner that actuallly likes durian!

I tell you how bad it is. They actually featured this fruit in as a challenge in fear factor. I was laughing when they had that because the participants were puking after the FIRST bite, complaining about the foul smell and taste.

In fact, the durians with stronger smell and taste are actually valued more. Sometimes it wonders me how something could taste so good to some people and taste so bad to others.


DSC_5558

Some people could actually distinguish the fruits by the thorns. Apparently there are many grades of durians thus the sprouting of many types of durians claiming to be the best. I personally like the D24 and the Musang King (don't mind me.....its durian talk here).


DSC_5565

Here's to show how sharp it is! Opening a durian is one difficult task if you're not used to it. You need a really big knife to chop it open. I admire how the "pros" do it at the durian stores. They can open one up in seconds.


DSC_5437

Here's how it looks on the inside. The texture of the fruit is really fleshy. Sinking your teeth into it is just such an experience to behold. If you have not tried a durian. You must try one if you ever have the opportunity.

Comments

  1. Really wonderful of durian.
    I bet you had fun while you took these 'coz it showed in your post.

    but im not a fan of durian. the odor just overpowers its taste.

    Have a great weekend stanley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, yeah Lawstude I totally understand. Perhaps I've been brought up around these fruits and I've gotten used to their smell.

    But at least you had a go at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Durians, they are my favourite. I see durian season is in already. Nice photos of the durians, now it really make me hungry. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice weekday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!! A durian lover finally. I had fun visiting you blog. Hope to see you here often =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats cool pictures... Especially the last one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pretty sure I wouldn't like it. I can't eat anything with a weird smell. They are very pretty though. Your photographs of them are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very true about how some people like it and some don't. A friend of my mom's kept saying how good it was and that we needed to try it. She brought one over and I'm sorry but it was awful....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back in our grandma's place, we have a few durian trees and my family just love the fruit except me. No matter the mental conditioning I do, I don't really like the taste (but I love durian candies and coffee). I read somewhere that durian's odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It's far from the truth actually but the quote sounds funny. Hehe.

    Great pics you have here. Keep shooting and sharing your awesome pics, SL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love durian too !

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi, stanley! i LOVE durian!!! the only thing i don't like about it is how my pee smells like durian for at least 2 days when i eat a whole fruit. haha.

    nice pictures, man. you've got a good eye for a 16 year-old! hehe. :)

    thanks for dropping by my blog. i like yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. .....and all you other people too! Thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting. I have never seen or heard of this.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I have been slack in my posting lately. I think I have bloggers constipation.......maybe your fruit would help. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stanley: Now you have me confused if I would ever try it. You make it sound almost scary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lot of times i've attempted to eat durian before but the smell is just too much...if u know what i mean...hehh thanks for dropping by

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are plenty of Durian fruit in our province. Am from Davao and we love to eat that fruit. Some people don't want to taste it because of it's not-so-friendly smell but try not to think of it and just give it a taste, it will sure win your tongue.
    :)

    www.aethen.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love the shots. really.the close up ones.or the macroshots.

    would you believe? i haven't taste a durian! poor me.

    nice to be here.

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Would have loved to try, but not very easy to get fresh in Norway.

    Btw: thanks for your visit and nice comments - would have loved to meet you too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow! this is my favorite fruit! Nothing compares to the taste (and smell) of durian. Now that the season is near, prices should now be affordable. But I missed those cheap and delicious ones sold within Davao.

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice shots stanley!

    i like durian too. when i was a kid i dont like it but when i reached high school, it was addicting.

    just an advice: never put it inside a refrigerator unsealed. hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  20. i definitely love durian!!! it makes me hot. haha. i mean, warm.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tastes like heaven, smells like hell...

    Yet I love this fruit...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts