Rumah Sayangan

For the past three months I have been spending time at Rumah Sayangan 3 times a week teaching maths. Initially, I had so many things planned for 2009 but somehow everything turned out differently especially after I found out that I was picked for National Service.

The original plan was to work onboard a mission boat call Doulos for 3 months before starting college. But I guess that God has something else planned for me and somehow I ended up in Rumah Sayangan after Gillian told me about their need of a tuition teacher.

Time rolled by so quickly and soon it was time to say goodbye as I had to leave for National Service. Some of the kids did not grasp the concept of National Service and assumed that I was abandoning them. I guess that shows how close we got in the short time we had together.

Being a teacher as I quikly realised was not easy, and I found out that I was way above my head after a few classes. But thank God, I managed to get the hang of it. I really find it hard striking a balance being a teacher and also a friend. There were sweet moments and not so sweet moments but I have learned so much when I have gone there to teach in the first place.

They're really sweet! On my last week, they invited me over on Saturday for farewell party. There was also another group of people there visiting too, so it was great joining in the fun.

Photobucket
Here's a few of my students. I teach 5 boys-1 Primary 4, 2 Primary 6, 2 Secondary 1.

Photobucket
Little Andrew =) ....cute as ever!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Kids playing the "Untangle Game".


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Representative from the visitors handing their donation.

Photobucket
This is Ms Susan, the 'lady boss' of Rumah Sayangan. A wonderful lady who gave me all the lowdown on the kids and how to handle them. She even took care of all the disciplinary problems in class xP

Photobucket
These people are the staff of Rumah Sayangan. They have been working here for as long as 8 years! I really appreciate them making my visits comfortable and for being very accomodating. They even provide me with lunch.

Photobucket
All the kids! (plus some of the 'stray' visitors xP)

Comments

  1. They are the cutest, aren't they? :> Thanks for being the difference for them! Yeah... they're too used to people in their lives abandoning them....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Exercise you freedom of speech!

Popular Posts